By Jan Onofrio
Read Online or Download Arkansas Biographical Dictionary (Encyclopedia of the United States Series Book 3) PDF
Best american history_1 books
Who used to be Belle Starr? What was once she that such a lot of myths encompass her? Born in Carthage, Missouri, in 1848, the daughter of a well-to-do resort proprietor, she died 41 years later, gunned down close to her cabin within the Cherokee state in Oklahoma. After her demise she was once known as “a bandit queen,” “a woman Jesse James,” “the Petticoat Terror of the Plains.
Deanne Stephens Nuwer explores the social, political, racial, and financial results of the 1878 yellow fever epidemic in Mississippi. a gentle iciness, an extended spring, and a torrid summer season produced stipulations favoring the Aedes aegypti and unfold of fever. In overdue July New Orleans newspapers mentioned the epidemic and upriver officers demonstrated checkpoints, yet efforts at quarantine got here too past due.
The large metal turbines of Youngstown as soon as fueled the commercial increase of the Mahoning Valley. motion picture buyers took within the most up-to-date flick on the ornate Paramount Theater, and mob bosses dressed to the nines for supper on the Colonial residence. In 1977, the Youngstown Sheet and Tube corporation introduced the closure of its steelworks in a close-by urban.
Now not a lot drives passionate debate in Utah greater than public land use. And activity mountain climbing is securely tethered to that controversy as extra thrill-seekers apparatus up every year to ascend the state�s geological wonders. From the bolt wars in Moab to the frenzied course improvement in American Fork Canyon, Utah is still important within the evolution of the game.
- A History of the Life and Voyages of Christopher Columbus
- Rethinking the Black Freedom Movement (American Social and Political Movements of the 20th Century)
- When Sherman Marched North from the Sea: Resistance on the Confederate Home Front (Civil War America)
- Haunted Ocean City and Berlin (Haunted America)
- Native Americans in the American Revolution: How the War Divided, Devastated, and Transformed the Early American Indian World
- Yankee Destinies: The Lives of Ordinary Nineteenth-Century Bostonians
Extra resources for Arkansas Biographical Dictionary (Encyclopedia of the United States Series Book 3)