By Howard Brotz
Read or Download African-American Social and Political Thought: 1850-1920 PDF
Best american history_1 books
Who used to be Belle Starr? What was once she that such a lot of myths encompass her? Born in Carthage, Missouri, in 1848, the daughter of a well-to-do lodge proprietor, she died 41 years later, gunned down close to her cabin within the Cherokee kingdom in Oklahoma. After her loss of life she was once known as “a bandit queen,” “a woman Jesse James,” “the Petticoat Terror of the Plains.
Deanne Stephens Nuwer explores the social, political, racial, and financial effects of the 1878 yellow fever epidemic in Mississippi. a delicate iciness, a protracted spring, and a torrid summer time produced stipulations favoring the Aedes aegypti and unfold of fever. In overdue July New Orleans newspapers suggested the epidemic and upriver officers verified checkpoints, yet efforts at quarantine got here too overdue.
The big metal turbines of Youngstown as soon as fueled the industrial growth of the Mahoning Valley. motion picture consumers took within the most modern flick on the ornate Paramount Theater, and mob bosses dressed to the nines for supper on the Colonial condo. In 1977, the Youngstown Sheet and Tube corporation introduced the closure of its steelworks in a close-by urban.
No longer a lot drives passionate debate in Utah greater than public land use. And game mountaineering is securely tethered to that controversy as extra thrill-seekers apparatus up every year to ascend the state�s geological wonders. From the bolt wars in Moab to the frenzied direction improvement in American Fork Canyon, Utah is still relevant within the evolution of the game.
- The Great Medicine Road, Part 1: Narratives of the Oregon, California, and Mormon Trails, 1840–1848 (The American Trails Series)
- Vicksburg and Chattanooga: The Battles That Doomed the Confederacy
- Remembering Flint, Michigan: Stories from the Vehicle City (American Chronicles)
- Remembering Camden: Stories from an Old Maine Harbor (American Chronicles)
- Cursed in Virginia: Stories of the Damned in the Old Dominion State
- Berkeley Township (Images of America)
Additional info for African-American Social and Political Thought: 1850-1920